Keep in touch with our family and see what is going on in our world. If you know me and my camera fetish, you may be able to see yourself on here occassionally, but who knows. Enjoy

Monday, August 13, 2007

Lake Oroville Boating

Two weekends ago we decided pretty spur of the moments to go boating with my parents up to Lake Oroville. Mom and dad both grew up in the area, and I spent a few summers up there with my grandfather. A little known fact about Lake Oroville is that there are floating campsites throughout the lake. They basically look like a houseboat except they are anchored in some scattered coves around the lake. They are designed with a bathroom, picnic table, and BBQ on the bottom floor (from what I can remember), and the upstairs is flat and empty with a small fence around the perimeter. I remember jumping off of the top deck when I was about 16 years old. What a blast that was.









Another interesting finding that we came across years ago was the submerged train tunnels from older days. This year the lake is very low, but in the past we have been able to float through the old tunnels. Something you don't get to do very often.







Interestingly the week after we got back we were watching the news and they actually said that there are fresh water jelly fish in Lake Oroville. They also said that they do not sting like the salt water kind. Alicia had remarked that, "If I knew those were in there I would never have gone swimming in there." Well I guess that cancels the floating campsite trip out next year.

Let me know your experience on the lake if you have one.


The Riley's

8/13/07

No comments: